Thursday, July 12, 2012

Eating Paste... Good Times... Good Times

Nostalgia is something that has always been very important to me. I have always been the type of person that remembers smells, sounds, and sights that become very specific to me.

I remember being a kid at my grandmas house. Playing outside around her lilac bushes. Running through them was always so much fun. To this day that smell makes me think of her. She has been gone for over a year but that smell still brings her smile to the forfront of my mind's eye.

Any time I hear Willie Nelson Always On My Mind I think of my other grandma. I just remember hearing that song with her when I was very little. She has been gone almost five years and just thinking about the opening line of that song brings tears to my eyes.  I really miss her so much. She was my sounding board and friend above being grandma. She was too young when she left and it still upsets me to this day.

When I hear Gloria from Shadows of Knight I always think of my uncle. Just sitting in the basement listening to that on the record player. The scratch of the needle on vinyl, the gritty singer, the guitars oh that song just makes me so happy to this day. Any time I hear a record though the scratch of the vinyl I think of my uncle. Just a very cool time in my life.

When I see Lassie I think of my old dog. When I hear tags cling on a dog collar I think of her. I always leave two tags on my dog to cling together just so I can hear that sound. It reminds me of being a kid and running around the yard with her. You could always hear her coming.

I have talked about other songs in past posts that remind me of things. Music really played a major role in my life growing up. There are songs that I still have a hard time listening too. There are movies that I can not watch.

I could make a list a mile long that would talk about the things that remind me of other things but it would end up being even more boring to everyone else but me.


No comments:

Post a Comment