Saturday, June 23, 2012

True Crime and Me (Not what you think)

I'm not really sure what my deal is with true crime. I have this need to watch or read things having to do with spree or serial  killing. I don't watch it or read it because I aspire to be anything like them I want to clear that up in advance. I just think that they are interesting. Especially unsolved acts such as Jack the Ripper or the Zodiac. It just blows my mind that people can be so cruel. It also baffles me even more that they never got caught and will never be caught. Right now I'm watching something about Jack the Ripper in America. They make some interesting points about how he escaped England and came to America to continue his killings. Do I truly believe he came here. Eh, no... Does the thought strike some sort of interest in me? Yes of course. I mean it's one of, if not the most notorious unsolved crimes in history. It's just like with the Zodiac, the blood shed just abruptly stops. It to me is odd. Premier detectives trying in vain to solve crimes with the speculation of the public being everywhere. Sometimes I wonder if that hurt and hindered the investigation as opposed to helping it. Ah, of course it did.

Then there is Lizzie Bordon. Where do I begin? I can say honestly that when it comes to a notorious spree in the States this to me is it. Second, maybe to Andrew Cunanan who killed Gianni Versache. That however, was solved. The whole Lizzie Borden thing technically was never solved. She was acquitted on the charges of murder against her for the death of her father and step mother. Then she lived out her natural life as an old maid in the same city that they were murdered in. It's an interesting story to read really. As for why I've always been taken by this I think it's for two reasons. One- there is a child rhyme about the hideous crime. Everyone has had to have heard it at one point or another. ” Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks, when she saw what she had done she gave her father forty one.” It is so creepy. Second- growing up with my name I can not tell you how many times I heard about Lizzie Borden, heck I still hear about her. I think what gets me is she was technically found not guilty of those crimes but she was labeled and could never get past that. So as I finish Jack the Ripper in America and start to watch Lizzie Borden Had An Axe I can't help but being sucked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment