Saturday, June 16, 2012

For Starters


I was thinking about starting a blog today. While thinking about this I wondered if there was anything that I had to say that would interest a single person. I decided that yes, yes there is. But, blogging simply about books, movies, music or actors/actresses seemed so cliché to me. Even writing that sentence seems cliché. In my life I know that these things are loves of mine that no doubt I will not be able to avoid. However, to dwell on either of these topics and make that my “thing” would not be fair to me. There is so much more to say than that movie was great, that new album rules, or so and so is so amazing and hot. There are issues that I have that are important for not only me to understand but others as well.

          One of the first things that I will tell you about myself is that my son has Asperger’s syndrome. For those that do know what it is please excuse my small description here. This is a disorder that is on the autism spectrum. It varies in severity and manifestations. For my son, there are a lot of difficulties in reading expressions, identifying with kids his own age, sounds (hand dryers in bathrooms are the worst) and light (the sun is next to impossible for him to deal with on some days). To be honest when some people meet him they don’t realize anything is different right away. However, if you pay attention to his actions it is quite noticeable. His interactions tend to be awkward and very nerve racking and it calms him to pace.
        

          My son is awesome though. Truly he is one of the funniest kids you will ever meet. It is just a matter of getting to know him. I can say that with him not a day goes by where I do not laugh hysterically at some point. He is wise beyond his ten years.

Second important thing, my daughter is amazing. She does gymnastics, gets all A’s in school, is caring, shy, a great friend and daughter. Although she is beautiful she knows that this is not the most important thing in the world. She is very funny. Also, if you are upset she is the first one to hug you and hand you a tissue. She loves to hang upside down from the top of the swing set. When she was a little little kid (I use that because she is still a little kid) not a day would go by that she didn’t bump her head.  For a while I worried that she would do some sort of permanent damage.  She did manage to recover every time and in turn now has more grace than even her mother (which is not saying much). She is also wise beyond her 8 years.

Every day with these two there something different. There are good days and there are bad. I have cried myself to sleep because I was so frustrated. I have also laughed so hard I cried.  That is all just part of my job as mom.

Now on to me all the things I said I did not want my blog to be strictly about are loves of mine. I love reading, watching movies, and because of the movies I love actors and actresses. I also like to lose myself in music. These things are my stress release because besides taking care of my two children I am a single mom and a respiratory therapist. The job can be stressful and can take a lot out of me. I do know though that I always have a way to relax and try to forget about the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment