Monday, June 18, 2012

Music and Actors and Books OH MY

        So often these days people become fixated on things. Other people, movies, music it all depends. Personally I think that to a point it's normal. I mean don't get me wrong when you start stalking and so forth then it isn't normal. We all can agree on that. Back to the topic... As a teenager I remember reading ” The Outsiders” for the first time. I was so in love with that book. The feelings of helplessness and being alone are so identifiable with teens. Because no one gets it. I read it easily five times. Then I moved on to the rest of the books S.E Hinton wrote. I loved them too. Then I read about her. I think what shocked and amazed me the most about her was she was only 16 when she wrote ” The Outsiders”. That is why the angst was so real. Of course this was never an original thought of mine. To me though it felt very mind blowing and original. It could have been me. It could have.
      Then eventually I moved on. Lived more, saw more, and got into music. Around the age of 17 I got into 50's and 60's music. The sound of vinyl is just not comparable to anything. Nothing makes me smile like hearing ”Gloria” by Shadows of Knight on a record player. It just lights up my mood yet sounds so gritty at the same time. Garage rock from that time could literally be my soundtrack. This of course would be true had I not been born in the 70's. Although I can't complain about music associated with my childhood. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Beastie Boys and Soundgarden remind me of my rebellious stage which I haven't totally gotten over, many years later. There are still songs that bring so much emotion to the forefront of my mind. Fade Into You by Mazzy Star I listened to for a whole night over and over again when my first real boyfriend and I broke up. To this day when I hear that song I get a little pain in my chest and I think of him. Part of it is I have always been a very nostalgic person. Sounds remind me of things, smells too. It is just something that has always been part of me. Many times I wonder if others are like this or if I'm an extreme case.
     I read Chuck Klosterman Fargo Rock City and I think holy crap I could write a book like that. Although mine would not be nearly as interesting. But the way he describes songs and what he was doing is something that goes through my head when I hear many songs. Not just mainstream radio stuff although in most cases that is the easiest stuff to place. I am lucky enough to know some pretty remarkable people that have introduced me to a lot of interesting music. 
      I was never a person that got super fixated on movies. I had to see Pulp Fiction three times before I even liked it. Well, except for Star Wars. The original three movies just, wow I loved them. I have never dressed as a character at a comic con or anything. Although I'd make a hell of an Ewok. I just never had the crafty ability to make a costume yet have always scoffed at the store bought ones. 
      As for people... Actors I have become enamored, wanted to read more about them but then I realize yep they just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got lucky. In most cases they aren't very pleasant and honestly it just isn't my thing. Now by that I mean I'm not nor have I ever been in lust with Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp. My actor crushes tend to be more like what I would like to see in a real person. I'm not going to name names but ”conventional” beauty or those ”chiseled” handsome good looks aren't for me. Now I mean that in the most classical of ways. But, to each their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment