Wednesday, November 30, 2016

When Nice Doesn't Cut It

I've tried... Tried to sit back, hope for the best. Be nice and keep my mouth shut  (that's what I've always done after all) but I've found that it's simply not going to work. Being the bigger person no longer means turning the other cheek. I remember a time when you went out of your way not to offend people, not to make others uncomfortable or say something that could hurt their feelings but that time passed. Keeping the peace has passed. It died on November 9th. I woke up that morning and realized that holding my tongue, keeping the peace and being 'nice' wasn't going to cut it anymore. 

Instead I needed to point out the fact that:

  1. I have an opinion
  2. It matters
  3. Yes, I'm a woman but, I'm educated and I'm not less than the white male population
  4. My voice is the only one that is going to stick up for my children, for me and in some cases other people.
  5. I'm not going to be afraid anymore to be me. Even if now, it's one of the most terrifying times in this country.

Now where do I begin?

I say nice died on November 9th but, the reality is it was a slower death than that. My son (who has Asperger’s) woke up that morning asking about the election results. He's 14 years old, old enough to pay attention, old enough to understand the gravity the title of President holds. I told him who won and while it was with a heavy heart I didn't let him know that. These things I've always believed are opinions that you should not force on your children. I don't want my kids growing up with the same opinions as me. I want them to think for themselves not spew forth my opinions just because that's what they grew up hearing. He was upset. Very upset and at the time I tried to remain optimistic. 'Checks and Balances' I distinctly remember explaining in detail. (He hasn't had government class yet) I thought or hoped rather that this would ease his mind. For a couple days, it did.

Then Friday rolled around. He was home from school and we went to lunch. While at lunch (a friend of mine and Trump supporter was there) during this outing, my son looked at me and said "Mom I just don't understand how come people would vote for a man that makes fun of people like me." And I didn't have an answer because that was only one thing on a laundry list of items that made me question how people could vote for a man like that. Of course, at the time I wanted to cry because when your child hurts you hurt and damn it him gathering that HURT like hell. But, I didn't I just said 'Me neither buddy me neither.'

Later that night (and the exact conversation I was not present for) he brought up the same question to his grandparents. One of the responses he got was "Well you don't know what the context was" Obviously, that upset him tremendously. When we talked about it I was pissed, no furious. His own grandparents saying that to him... Because as I explained to them. ‘Think about it... Someone mocking your grandson. Do you really give a shit what the context is? I certainly hope not. They're mocking him for something he cannot help. I'd be fucking furious.' It takes a small human being to mock a person with disabilities. It takes an even smaller person to tell ME a mother of someone with disabilities that I don't understand the context that said mocking was done in because there is NO CONTEXT in which mocking is ever okay.

MOCKING is BULLYING and I HAVE A ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY.

That is... It's a despicable human being and the fact that these seemingly small indiscretions have been looked over time and time again is a crime. Each person that excuses this behavior is just as guilty as if you've committed these acts yourself. 'One of the greatest crimes is inaction' Yet YOU VOTED FOR HIM. Like Donald Trump is some answer that we don't even have the question to.

In the less than month since he's been elected people (and by people, I mean minorities) have been attacked in his name time and time again. I don't care if people use the 'oh I was drunk' excuse the fact remains you felt that somewhere deep down and that makes you an asshole. That makes you just as bad as the terrorists that you supposedly hate. BUT-- there is one difference you're doing it because you supposedly love this country? Yeah if you did you would be working to better it not tear it down at the seams.

This country is more divided now than it was three weeks ago.

We have a vice president elect calling for democracy in Cuba yet he walks out on actors exercising their right to free speech, wants to take away a woman's right to choose and actual democracy doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot to him. Sadly, he considers being spoken to with respect bullying. (buddy look in the mirror and then talk to me about bullies) When you STOP trying to tell me what I can do with MY BODY then we can talk about bullies. Until then I have no place for you. (and for the record my birth control runs out in a couple of days which means that I should be starting my period in a week and then I start the cycle all over again. of course, you'd probably rather I not have access to the birth control that I use to control the hyperplasia that I suffer from without it therefore ending up with endometrial cancer. I'm just a woman after all what's it matter to you?) AND can I NOT even begin to discuss the fact that your stance on working mothers is a damn joke. Especially when there's so many lovely WHITE MEN like the two of you (yourself and your lovely boss) that don't take care of their business. You're a whole different breed that needs to be sent to the middle ages because you don't know your head from a hole in the ground. I feel sorry for your wife and family. I feel bad for anyone that shares your twisted ideals.

The president elect would rather try to strip a flag burner of their citizenship and put a cross burner in their cabinet. Put a woman who has NEVER dealt with the public-school system a day in her life in charge of education and a white supremacist... (why is that even allowed in the same thought as president elect?) Nominating (if that's what you want to call it) a man that made millions from the collapse of this economy to head the treasury department. The exact type of people you promised to protect the citizens from-- WALLSTREET TYPES (Of course he's a blatant liar and has been for years. Yet people were naive enough to vote for him)

Should I begin to discuss his disrespect for veterans and blatant disregard for their future by even considering Sarah 'Bridge to Nowhere' Palin to head up the VA? It's disgraceful. However, every step he's made has been a disgrace not to mention about twenty steps backwards from where we are now.

He's got women working for him that are as good at double talk as he is. Which is no small feat but eventually it'll bite you in the ass. They're giving interviews and speaking on his behalf and pointing out the fact that interviews don't have to be under oath. RIGHT-- and yet you should probably be honest with the American people. You know since we're the people that he's swearing to PROTECT and this is the man that's going to be representing us to other nations. Think about that long and hard for a minute... Did you cringe? I know I did.

Then there's healthcare. Donald has been talking about getting rid of what we have now. Look- there are changes that need to be made yes, I agree. Getting rid of this healthcare system completely? No that's not the answer. That's the worst thing that could happen for this country. (coming from a healthcare worker) We need this system. We need this system to be more affordable BUT it's only been two years. These things don't happen overnight.

Trust me-- our hospital affiliation changed 5 years ago, and we still get the 'be patient' speech and that's just a group of hospitals NOT a nation of people. (before this we were the ONLY industrialized nation without a form of socialized medicine. Just some food for thought)

To the people that voted for this man... Do you look back at Hitler and think 'Wow he was a standup guy?' Do you feel good about the fact that there are groups of people that are no longer safe where just 45 days ago... Hell 30 days ago, they were? Does it make you sleep better at night to know that when your kids are 4 years older this place is going to be worse off? (remember your kids will pick your nursing home) Because even if you don't already see it... It's there. The writing, the fact that this country back peddled about 30 years it's all writing on a wall in giant graffiti. Spelled out in bright letters...

And then--- 


Don't anyone tell me I'm a bad parent because my kids care about politics when they're not the ones going to school saying things like 'I just don't think gay people should get married' or 'I don't want a baby killer as president' Hate to burst all your bubbles BUT-- THAT wasn't my kid. My kid (my 12-year-old daughter) was the one that said 'Really how does someone else's marriage effect you?' Because TRUTH it doesn't and you're bringing your god somewhere it doesn't belong again.

As for the baby killer comments, it's like I've always ALWAYS explained to my children. 'Abortion is an ugly topic with even uglier opinions. People talk about god and this and that. If that's your reason for not getting one. Fanfriggintastic BUT that's NOT a reason to make them illegal. Abortion may not be something you would choose or want your child to choose but, that never gives you the right to take that choice away from someone else. At the end of the day what someone else does has zero effect on you.'

I'm not a god-fearing person. I don't believe that church, god or religion have any place in Washington D.C. I honestly feel that the separation of church and state should be exactly that-- a separation. Clear, concise and distinct.

However, if there is a hell there's a special place... Warm for people like Donald Trump and Mike Pence. Demoralizing, Misogynistic, Xenophobic, piece of trash that they both are.

When all of this comes crashing down on you. When you wake up from the cloud of smoke that you're living in remember this time. Remember we had the chance to do something besides let a fascist take over this country. 

YET PEOPLE STILL VOTED FOR HIM.

It was bigger than not liking Hillary. Not wanting to listen to her speak... (Which may be one of the absolute worst excuses I've ever heard for not voting for her) Because of that you've given a liar, narcissist and someone with the most conflict of interest I've EVER seen the highest office of power in this country. That's rich or a special kind of stupid that I cannot even begin to fathom.

No comments:

Post a Comment